Re: Way to decrypt an encrypted /home

Marc de Verdelhan <mdeverdelhan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
> What I'm wondering is: What if a user (for instance: me) has a v2
> wrapped-passphrase file but try to mount its encrypted directory with
> a version of ecryptfs-utils inferior to v104? Did you consider this
> case?
> After this adventure I can say that returning "ERROR: Your passphrase
> is incorrect" when you run a "ecryptfs-mount-private" in that kind of
> configuration may get some users to think they really have an
> incorrect password and to give up, loosing their data.
> At [the very] least you should put a very big warning on
> http://ecryptfs.org/ to inform all the users in that situation (which
> may occur again since Debian Stable has the version 99-1 of
> ecryptfs-utils (https://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/ecryptfs-utils)
> and is still maintained).

I have experienced this same issue today.
I had ubuntu 14.04 with ecryptfs-utils 104-0ubuntu1.14.04.3.
I reinstalled Linux Mint 17 in / and kept /home.

As the installation ships with ecryptfs-utils 104-0ubuntu1 and my home
actually had the rewrapped version using a random salt, it was saying my
passphrase was incorrect and made me very nervous.
Fortunately I upgraded all the packages and after reboot everything was fine
again.