Re: Way to decrypt an encrypted /home

On 2015-04-01 09:52:49, Marc de Verdelhan wrote:
> Hi there,

Hello! Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having.

> I made a huge mistake and I need some help.
>
> I was running Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) with an encrypted
> home directory (using eCryptfs). /home and / were on separated
> partitions.
> Last week I replaced Mint by Debian. I formatted the / partition and
> kept the /home one. Now I can't decrypt my data. :/

Did you record the randomly generated mount passphrase? After you set up
an encrypted home directory in Ubuntu, you receive a pop up dialogue box
informing you to record the mount passphrase and keep it somewhere safe.
If you followed that advice, we can save a lot of time debugging the
issue below.

Tyler