Re: Problem with endianess of pahole BTF output for vmlinux

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:19 AM Andrii Nakryiko
<andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:58 AM Tony Ambardar <tony.ambardar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 07:27, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
> > <arnaldo.melo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [...]
> > >
> > > The BTF loader has support for endianness, its just the encoder that
> > > doesn't :-\
> > >
> > > I.e. pahole can grok a big endian BTF payload on a little endian machine
> > > and vice-versa, just can't cross-build BTF payloads ATM.

> > > I agree that having this in libbpf is better, it should be done as part
> > > of producing the result of the deduplication phase.
> > >
> > Thanks for confirming this wasn't a case of operator error. My platforms for
> > learning/experimenting with BPF have been small embedded ones, including
> > cross-compiling to different archs, word-size and endianness, which have
> > "helped" me run into multiple problems till now. This one is the first I
> > couldn't work around however...
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Right, we could do it right after btf_dedup() and before
> > > btf_elf__write(), doing the same process as in btf_loader.c, i.e.
> > > checking if the ELF target arch is different in endianness and doing the
> > > reverse of the loader.

> > Andrii and Arnaldo, I really appreciate your working on a proper endianness fix.
> > If you have a WIP or staging branch and could use some help please let me know.
> >

> I have a bunch of code changes locally. I'll clean that up, partition
> libbpf and pahole patches, and post them for review this week. To
> address endianness support, those are the prerequisites. Once those
> changes land, I'll be able to solve endianness issues you are having.
> So just a bit longer till all that is done, sorry for the wait!

Question to folks that are working with 32-bit and/or big-endian
architectures. Do you guys have an VM image that you'd be able to
share with me, such that I can use it with qemu to test patches like
this. My normal setup is all 64-bit/little-endian, so testing changes
like this (and a few more I'm planning to do to address mixed 32-bit
on the host vs 64-bit in BPF cases) is a bit problematic. And it's
hard to get superpumped about spending lots of time setting up a new
Linux image (never goes easy or fast for me).

So, if you do have something like this, please share. Thank you!