Re: Problem with endianess of pahole BTF output for vmlinux

Em Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 11:02:24AM +0200, Ilya Leoshkevich escreveu:
> On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 13:18 -0700, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:

The BTF loader has support for endianness, its just the encoder that
doesn't :-\

I.e. pahole can grok a big endian BTF payload on a little endian machine
and vice-versa, just can't cross-build BTF payloads ATM.

> > Yes, it's expected, unfortunately. Right now cross-compiling to a
> > different endianness isn't supported. You can cross-compile only if
> > target endianness matches host endianness.

I agree that having this in libbpf is better, it should be done as part
of producing the result of the deduplication phase.

> > > We have the same problem on s390, and I'm not aware of any solution
> > > at
> > > the moment. It would be great if we could figure out how to resolve
> > > this.
> >
> > I'm working on extending BTF APIs in libbpf at the moment. Switching
> > endianness would be rather easy once all that is done. With these new
> > APIs it will be possible to switch pahole to use libbpf APIs to
> > produce BTF output and support arbitrary endianness as well. Right
> > now, I'd rather avoid implementing this in pahole, libbpf is a much
> > better place for this (and will require ongoing updates if/when we
> > introduce new types and fields to BTF).

Right, we could do it right after btf_dedup() and before
btf_elf__write(), doing the same process as in btf_loader.c, i.e.
checking if the ELF target arch is different in endianness and doing the
reverse of the loader.

> > Hope this plan works for you guys.
>
> That sounds really good to me, thanks!

- Arnaldo