Re: vc4: HDMI Sink doesn't support RGB, something's wrong.

On Thu, 17 Oct 2024 at 16:59, Maxime Ripard <mripard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 05:26:46PM GMT, Stefan Wahren wrote:

> > > I think we're probably missing calls to drm_mode_config_helper_suspend and
> > > drm_mode_config_helper_resume.
> >
> > Okay, i tried this and it works better (HDMI resumes fast), but it also
> > triggers a lot of WARN
>
> vc4_plane_reset deviates from the helper there:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.11.3/source/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_state_helper.c#L326
>
> We should adjust it.

Yes, it looks like that WARN is inappropriate, and we should be
freeing the old state.

> > and the "doesn't support RGB ..." warnings are still there.
> >
> > I pushed my changes to the branch and attached the dmesg output.
>
> I can't help you there, it doesn't make sense to me. The EDID should be correct.

Nor can I. I've just taken the latest branch and HDMI does resume
correctly after suspend now.

We have seen monitors that do weird things on HPD when they stop
getting video and go into standby mode, so I wonder if that is the
case with your monitor.

I do wonder if the HDMI part of the display is the correct place to
handle drm_mode_config_helper_[suspend|resume]. All other users seem
to do it at the base DRM driver level, which would be vc4_drv.c.
I've done that and pushed it to
https://github.com/6by9/linux/tree/lategoodbye-suspend. That also
works for me without your changes to the HDMI side. That branch also
includes the above fix to vc4_plane_reset too.

  Dave