Re: vc4: HDMI Sink doesn't support RGB, something's wrong.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 05:26:46PM GMT, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Am 17.10.24 um 16:27 schrieb Maxime Ripard:
> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:16:43PM GMT, Dave Stevenson wrote:
> > > Hi Stefan

> > > So I remember for next time
> > > echo enabled > /sys/class/tty/ttyS1/power/wakeup

> > > I don't get the error you are seeing, but I also don't get the display resuming.
> > > pm has obviously killed the power to the HDMI block, and it has the
> > > reset values in as can be seen via /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/hdmi_regs.
> > > Nothing in the driver restores these registers, and I'm not sure if it
> > > is meant to do so.
> > > Run kmstest or similar from this state and the change of mode
> > > reprogrammes the blocks so we get the display back again.
> > >
> > > I've also enabled CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE so that I can use your
> > > EDID, and get the same results.
> > >
> > > Knee-capping the HDMI block on suspend seems an unlikely mechanism to
> > > work reliably. On the more recent Pis there is a need to be quite
> > > careful in disabling the pipeline to avoid getting data stuck in
> > > FIFOs.
> > > I feel I must be missing something here.
> >
> > I think we're probably missing calls to drm_mode_config_helper_suspend and
> > drm_mode_config_helper_resume.
>
> Okay, i tried this and it works better (HDMI resumes fast), but it also
> triggers a lot of WARN

vc4_plane_reset deviates from the helper there:
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.11.3/source/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_state_helper.c#L326

We should adjust it.

> and the "doesn't support RGB ..." warnings are still there.
>
> I pushed my changes to the branch and attached the dmesg output.

I can't help you there, it doesn't make sense to me. The EDID should be correct.

Maxime