Re: Using drm_exec for TTMs BO eviction

Am 03.07.24 um 15:59 schrieb Thomas Hellström:
On Wed, 2024-07-03 at 15:53 +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
On Wed, 2024-07-03 at 15:40 +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
Hi, Christian,

On Wed, 2024-07-03 at 15:25 +0200, Christian König wrote:
Hi guys,

We recently ran into a problem with deadlocks during eviction and
while back Thomas worked on a patch set which was going into the
direction of solving this.

So I simplified it to just the functionality needed to resolve
this
issue at. The resulting patch set is just the initial first step
of
using drm_exec in TTM for locking BOs during eviction.

Should a deadlock happen the drm_exec object is now used to
resolve
it and prelock the contended object. This approach solves this
the
ENOMEM issue on contending evictions quite nicely.

Please review and comment,
Christian.
Overall it looks sane, but I think it makes sense to review and
land
the part of the shrinker series first that touches this eviction
path
and gets rid of a lot of code that's hard to understand and
simplifies
the locking a lot. (That part doesn't touch drm_exec), and it has
been
pending reviews for some time.

That's actually exactly what I wanted to avoid.

I don't think it's correct to bypass that. Then we could work out
the
drm_exec implications.
It's

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/131815/

And in particular patch 7 there brings in the restartable LRU
functionality and sipmlifies eviction immensely and would make the
usage of this patchset's rudimentary drm_exec support easier to
understand and review.

Yeah, seen Mathews comments on that stuff.

Looked like 99% sane to me the last time I checked, the only thing I'm still not very keen at is still the bulk and cursor interaction.

/Thomas
Hm. I actually think all review comments have been sorted out up to
that patch, so what's missing is a resend of the new version, RB from
Matt and Review / Ack from you, then that part could be partially
merged.

Going to take another look at that.

Regards,
Christian.