Re: [v1,1/3] drm/panel: ili9341: Correct use of device property APIs

On Fri, May 03, 2024 at 12:57:33PM +0800, Sui Jingfeng wrote:
> On 2024/5/3 01:28, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

> > > Why this is not true? Are you means that the panel-ilitek-ili9341 driver has ACPI support?
> > That's the idea (as far as I see the copy of the code from tinyDRM),
> > but broken over the copy'n'paste. This patch rectifies that to be
> > in align with the original code, which *does* support ACPI.
> >
> > > I'm asking because I don't see struct acpi_device_id related stuff in that source file,
> > > am I miss something?
> > Yes, you are. I leave it for you to research.
>
> After researching a few hours I still don't understand how does
> the panel-ilitek-ili9341 driver has the ACPI support and be able
> to ACPI probed when compiled as module.
>
> As far as I know, drivers that has the ACPI support *must* has the
> .acpi_match_table hooked, so that be able to be probed when the
> driver is compiled as a module.

No, and this is the thing. Hint: there is a glue code to reuse compatible
strings from OF, that's why dependency to OF prevents *some* systems from
being able to use that. But it's easy to fix by enabling OF in the
configuration, however the ID tables are orthogonal to the environment.
That's why all those ACPI_PTR() and of_match_ptr() are design mistakes
that are going to be removed eventually (the work is ongoing, btw,
as well as killing specific *_device_get_match_data() calls).

> For example, see commit 75a1b44a54bd9 ("spi: tegra210-quad: add acpi support")
> to get a feel what a SPI device with *real* ACPI support looks like.

If under *real* you assume the allocated _HID in use, yes, that's how it's
done. But there is the other tricky way of achieving similar effect w/o
allocating a new / custom ACPI _HID.

Hint: it's all documented in kernel under firmware-guide/acpi/.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko