RE: [RFC v1 1/3] mm/mmu_notifier: Add a new notifier for mapping updates (new pages)

Hi Hugh,

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2023, Kasireddy, Vivek wrote:
> > Hi Jason,

> components
> > >
> > > So why do you need to track updates proactively like this?
> > As David noted in the earlier series, if Qemu punches a hole in its memfd
> > that goes through pages that are registered against a udmabuf fd, then
> > udmabuf needs to update its list with new pages when the hole gets
> > filled after (guest) writes. Otherwise, we'd run into the coherency
> > problem (between udmabuf and memfd) as demonstrated in the selftest
> > (patch #3 in this series).
>
> Wouldn't this all be very much better if Qemu stopped punching holes there?
I think holes can be punched anywhere in the memfd for various reasons. Some
of the use-cases where this would be done were identified by David. Here is what
he said in an earlier discussion:
"There are *probably* more issues on the QEMU side when udmabuf is paired
with things like MADV_DONTNEED/FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE used for
virtio-balloon, virtio-mem, postcopy live migration, ... for example, in"

Thanks,
Vivek