Re: [RFC v1 1/3] mm/mmu_notifier: Add a new notifier for mapping updates (new pages)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 07:54:38AM +0000, Kasireddy, Vivek wrote:

> > I'm not at all familiar with the udmabuf use case but that sounds
> > brittle and effectively makes this notifier udmabuf specific right?
> Oh, Qemu uses the udmabuf driver to provide Host Graphics components
> (such as Spice, Gstreamer, UI, etc) zero-copy access to Guest created
> buffers. In other words, from a core mm standpoint, udmabuf just
> collects a bunch of pages (associated with buffers) scattered inside
> the memfd (Guest ram backed by shmem or hugetlbfs) and wraps
> them in a dmabuf fd. And, since we provide zero-copy access, we
> use DMA fences to ensure that the components on the Host and
> Guest do not access the buffer simultaneously.

So why do you need to track updates proactively like this?

Trigger a move when the backing memory changes and re-acquire it with
hmm_range_fault like everything else does.

> And replace mmu_notifier_update_mapping(vma->vm_mm, address, pte_pfn(*ptep))
> in the current patch with
> mmu_notifier_change_pte(vma->vm_mm, address, ptep, false));

It isn't very useful because nothing can do anything meaningful under
the PTLs. Can't allocate memory for instance. Which makes me wonder
what it is udmabuf plans to actually do here.

JAson