Re: NIC and HBA based multipathing

Scott Moseman wrote:
Thanks for the follow-up.  I have each initiator setup with access to
the SAN.  The NIC is accessing /dev/sdb and the HBA is accessing
/dev/sdc.  I can mount either (or both) and access the data on the SAN
volume.

Yeah, the iscsi bits looks fine. You will have a /dev/sdX for the nic and one of the HBA.

When you start multipath, multipath should then create one multipath device from those two scsi ones.

# rpm -qa | grep multipath
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-16.1.RHEL4

# /etc/init.d/multipathd status
multipathd (pid 15929) is running...

I'm following the instructions on Red Hat's KB to setup the
multipath.conf file.  The modprobes were successful, the service
started, but...

# multipath -v2
error calling out /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda

...with /dev/sda being my physical hard drive.  dmesg output says:

device-mapper: dm-multipath: error getting device
device-mapper: error adding target to table

So are you asking about the errors from /dev/sda being accessed by multipath, or are you looking for help on adding the iscsi disks to a multipath device or both :)