Re: cryptsetup versions: cryptsetup 2.3.4 vs. cryptsetup 2.1.0 - thought I had data corruption!?!

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 14:21:20 CET, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 16/12/2020 01:06, Martin Jørgensen wrote:
>
> > For the reference, if anyone experiences the same problem I don't recommend using usb at all for transferring LUKS-volumes.
>
> Just a small addition:
>
> This is really not LUKS specific, if you have failing HW data is going to
> be corrupted - just in the case of encrypted data the error will usually
> propagate to whole sectors, so it is more visible to upper layer (fs).

Pretty much. When I did a measurement for my PhD (a long time ago),
I needed to pull 15TB from tape (disk were up to 200GB at that time).
I found about 15 bit-errors in there on decompression that were not
noticed in any place before and likely would have gone unnoticed if
the data had not been compressed. Crypto is simimar in that it amplifies
bit-erors and suddenly you see them, even if they were there before.

> And many external drivers or USB interfaces are really unreliable these
> days in long-term use...

Yes. And often it is some chip-internal bus or memory that is not
protected with checksums and fries a bit every few GB you pipe
through there.

Regards,
Arno

--