Re: cryptsetup versions: cryptsetup 2.3.4 vs. cryptsetup 2.1.0 - thought I had data corruption!?!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM Martin Jørgensen <mjoerg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 7:34 PM Milan Broz <gmazyland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 25/11/2020 19:01, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2020 18:30 +0100, from mjoerg@xxxxxxxxx (Martin Jørgensen):
>> I tried to look in version history but am not into the details of the
>> difference in crypt-setup versions. Can anyone please tell why I got/get
>> this error using 2.1.0 and not with 2.3.4?
--- snip ---

Just a small update: Things are much better now... After writing the last reply, I had another kernel upgrade (on the debian/proxmox, where the data is), am now running 5.4.73-1 and fsck is clean:

Update again: Just for the reference (about corrupted LUKS-volume during transfer of some TB files): I had done nothing wrong (sorry for delayed answer, but transferring many TB and md5sum on my lousy home-network to an old Synology Diskstation device takes days). The culprit is that I didn't use my harddisk volume with SATA-cables, but instead relied on a piece of crap like this: https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/thermaltake-blacx-hdd-docking-station.html and my encrypted LUKS-volume was being copied via USB3 - I'll never do that again (I trusted that thermaltake hdd docking station).

I had some conversations going on about my invalid md5sum file transfer ( https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1943811#p1943811 ), causing an apparent corrupted LUKS-container and I'm thrilled that even though some random bytes must've been written I think the LUKS-encrypted container (containing ext4 filesystem must've repaired itself, self-healing or something?) to the extent that most of it is still readable (although I haven't checked it all, it's 3 TB of data, old documents, movies, music etc). I'm surprised that I didn't lose all my data and that LUKS seems pretty robust, even in the case like me, where I had corrupted data (my problem had obviously nothing to do with version 2.1.0 vs 2.3.4, but initially I couldn't read my data, i.e. couldn't mount the opened LUKS-device mapper to /mnt/...)... I'm however betting that if the LUKS-header was corrupt, I was doomed... I learned my lesson and will never ever again use USB-3 for transferring my LUKS-containers. For the reference, if anyone experiences the same problem I don't recommend using usb at all for transferring LUKS-volumes. Thanks all LUKS/dm-crypt developers for doing such a great job and sorry for me being so confused about this, writing a few confusing mails, until I discovered the root cause of the problem and the solution to prevent future problems (all hardware, not even a software-problem, I had no idea, sorry about that but now my faith in LUKS-encryption and the ability to resist even some random bytes here and there, is stronger than ever before :-) )...

Br,