Re: LUKS2 SSD swap and system freeze

On 15 Dec 2020 11:42 +0100, from germano.massullo@xxxxxxxxx (Germano Massullo):
> To check if the complete stuck of the system was caused by encryption, I
> tried to disable SSD swap, and create a unencrypted swap on a regular
> HDD, and then when I had write bursts, the system slowed, but it did not
> freeze.

Note that by doing so, you actually changed at least two things at
once: absence/presence of encryption, and SSD/HDD. There is also a
possibility that you changed the properties of the storage
interconnect. You've shown that by changing all at once, you can
eliminate or introduce the problem, but you haven't unequivocally
shown which specific change made the difference.

To eliminate those factors and further narrow down the problem, can
you change just _one_ of those at a time? For example, do you still
see the same issue with similarly encrypted swap on the HDD, or with
unencrypted swap on the SSD? The answer would help at least somewhat
to lay the blame on either the storage device or the cryptography.

Also, have you checked the SMART data for the SSD?

Another thing that could be worth testing is to access that system
over the network. Assuming your firewall settings allow ICMP, does it
respond to pings while appearing frozen, for example?

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”