Re: Restored luks2 header to wrong drive!

On 05/05/2020 15.39, Default User wrote:

> Well, thank you for your reply Michael.
>
> Now I guess there is nothing left to do but grieve.
>
> It is too late for me, but maybe someday, computer backups and
> encryption will be "less art and more science".

Data recovery software can at least recover most of your files. Just ask on another mail list or forum.

Ideas from my notes:

PartedMagic CD.

PhotoRec

PhotoRec        camera cards.
                        http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
f3              http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/          recupera/analiza llaveros.

foremost        http://foremost.sourceforge.net/
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foremost_(software)
                Foremost is a forensic data recovery program for Linux used to recover files using their headers, footers, and data structures through
                a process known as file carving.[3] Although written for law enforcement use, it is freely available and can be used as a general data recovery tool.[2]

        ext4magic       (from greg) - There is also some commercial software, apparently.

                http://www.pdatungsteno.com/2006/05/26/recuperar-datos-de-tarjetas-de-memoria-cds-o-discos-duros-tras-un-desastre/
                http://www.dzoom.org.es/noticia-1780.html
                http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/es/downloads/recuperación_de_tarjeta_flash_gratis/
                http://www.ondata.es/recuperar/dispositivos-fotograficos.htm

                Restorer Ultimate.      <http://www.restorer-ultimate.com/>  payware, good (windows).

If you have questions about that, feel free to ask me offlist.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)