Re: 'discard' as default

Well, I can understand that the maintainers want to give their
users the best experience and for security software that is
always difficult to determine.

However, defaults _must_ be secure or you can simply do without
encryption in the first place. Encryption always decreases
usability, there is no way around that. Those that prefer
usability (speed, simplicity, etc.) will simply do without
encryption and hope nobody attacks them.

Hence here is my recommendation: No TRIM in the defaults.
Putting that in there would be really bad mindset-wise.

You can certainly add a statement prominently in the
documentation on how to add TRIM and that it will decrease
security. You can also add commented-out alternate configuration
lines with TRIM and a warning comment.

While you are it, you may also add a reference to FAQ
Item 5.19 which discusses the security problems putting
LUKS on an SSD or other solid-state drive.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----