'discard' as default

Hi list,

Starting with the upcoming release of Debian Buster, luks devices
created during installation will have the 'discard' option (trim feature
for flash devices) set in crypttab[1].

When Guilhem and me (we're the Debian cryptsetup maintainers) discussed
this topic, we agreed, that in general, having the discard option set
per default would be a nice thing to have. But we're unsure how to
implement it.

One option would be to simply add 'discard' to all crypttab examples and
document in README.Debian that we recommend to always add 'discard' as
crypttab option for new dm-crypt devices.

Buth then, *always* listing an option is somehow weird from a technical
perspective. If we want it to be the defualt, then it should be the
default without explicitely having to set it.

So we wonder whether you (cryptsetup upstream would consider to make
discard the default in cryptsetup, at least for LUKS devices.

[Certainly, enabling 'discard' for the LUKS device, isn't sufficient for
turning on trim support for the device. It might have to be enabled in
other block stack layers and filesystem still. But that's another topic
to be dealt with in downstream distributions like Debian.]

As far as we know, the main *negative* impact of enabling the trim
feature on flash devices is, that it might reveal information on which
parts of the disk are written and which are not, even if you first
filled the disk with random data[2]. To our knowledge, that's only a
problem if you need plausible deniability, wich LUKS doesn't provide anyway.

Our perspective is, that if you need plausible deniability, you have to
look into details anyway (it's hard to do plausible deniability right),
and people can still disable discard in those cases.

So what do you think about making 'discard' the default in cryptsetup
for LUKS? Would you consider doing so? If not, would you be fine with
cryptsetup in Debian defaulting to 'discard' nevertheless? Could you
imagine to add a compile-time flag for doing so? In any case, an option
to *disable* the default would be needed.

We're curious what you think about it :)

Kind regards,
 jonas, on behalf of the Debian cryptsetup team

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-crypto/merge_requests/2
[2] https://asalor.blogspot.com/2011/08/trim-dm-crypt-problems.html