DM-Verity + DM-Crypt error

Hello,

I am trying to use a combination of DM-Verity and DM-Crypt (plain Mode) in Linux.

This is an embedded system on the IMX6.

When my system boots up, in the init script, the DM-Verity check is carried out first , and if successful the DM-Crypt check is carried out.

So the script looks somewhat like what I have pasted below my mail. I have removed the error handling below to make is readable.

The calls “veritysetup create ..” and “cryptsetup open” succeed. So the DM-Verity and DM-Crypt devices are created.

However, the  mounting of  DM-Crypt device (/dev/mapper/plainMap) on the path /newroot fails with the following error.

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/plainMap on /newroot/ failed: Invalid argument

But I don’t see what argument is invalid in  :  mount -t ext4 -o ro  /dev/mapper/plainMap /newroot/

Does anybody have any pointers on why this error might be coming.

I have seen this error before while working with just DM-Verity but it went away on its own and I could not figure out why it came or why it went away.

Presently DM-Verity works independently and so does DM-Crypt on this very setup. But the combination has this problem.

However, even this combination has worked at some point before on a different setup.

But I would like to figure out the root cause of this error if I can.

Regards,

Vidyesh

root=/dev/mmcblk0p13

verity=/dev/mmcblk0p14

ROOT_HASH=`cat /root-hash-crypt`

echo -e "calling veritysetup create vroot with root = $root, verity = $verity\n"

veritysetup create vroot $root $verity $ROOT_HASH --debug

echo "Calling cryptsetup open with /dev/mapper/vroot and plainMap \n"

cryptsetup --type=plain open /dev/mapper/vroot plainMap --debug < /keyfile

mkdir /newroot

echo "Mounting dm-crypt block device in read-only mode  in newroot"

mount -t ext4 -o ro  /dev/mapper/plainMap /newroot/