Re: DM-Verity + DM-Crypt error

On 06/13/2018 05:52 PM, Nabar, Vidyesh wrote:
> I am trying to use a combination of DM-Verity and DM-Crypt (plain Mode) in Linux.
>
> This is an embedded system on the IMX6.
>
> When my system boots up, in the init script, the DM-Verity check is carried out first , and if successful the DM-Crypt check is carried out.
>
> So the script looks somewhat like what I have pasted below my mail. I have removed the error handling below to make is readable.
>
> The calls “veritysetup create ..” and “cryptsetup open” succeed. So the DM-Verity and DM-Crypt devices are created.
>
> However, the  mounting of  DM-Crypt device (/dev/mapper/plainMap) on the path /newroot fails with the following error.
>
> /mount: mounting /dev/mapper/plainMap on /newroot/ failed: Invalid argument/
>
> But I don’t see what argument is invalid in  :  /mount -t ext4 -o ro  /dev/mapper/plainMap /newroot//

Any message in syslog? Failed mount should print something there...

Can you paste output of "dmsetup status" (just ot check that dm-verity reports proper status) ?

Also try to add --readonly parameter to your cryptsetup command.

> Does anybody have any pointers on why this error might be coming.
>
> I have seen this error before while working with just DM-Verity but it went away on its own and I could not figure out why it came or why it went away.
>
> Presently DM-Verity works independently and so does DM-Crypt on this very setup. But the combination has this problem.
>
> However, even this combination has worked at some point before on a different setup.
>
> But I would like to figure out the root cause of this error if I can.

It should work, but to better diagnose it we need some data. You are already running --debug there, so could
you paste output? (It should provide me version of kernel, utility, device-mapper targets, architecture etc.)

Does it work for other block devices? (You can try loopback to file etc.)

Thanks,
Milan

p.s.
Please try to avoid sending html mails to this list, just use plain messages.