Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 10:35:57 CET, Sumaya1960@xxxxxx wrote:
> Hi agian,
>
> I am very sorry for bothering all of you!
> BUT I lost all my Data once and I will make sure that this time it
> will not going to happen again!
>
> So 2 short questions:
>
> 1. external USB-Disk with as raw block device as 'external backup
> device'? ( FAQ 2.2 (2))
> Is that OK?

If you have a header backup, that already covers some problems.
If you add a full backup of the raw LUKS device, that protects
you justr as much as a regular fullbackup does. You just cannot
compress that backup compared to a regular one.

> 2. Can I use a Hardware Raid 10 with 4 SSD's?
> I will use raw disks as well with no other format and no other
> partition. I will configure the virtual drive on the host (adapter)
> side. Is this possible or would you recommend another setup on the
> hardware raid?

RAID10 is something pretty obsolete and it has worse reliability
than RAID1 and the speed-advantage does not matter much today.
Better use RAID1 with larger SSDs or RAID 6.

BTW, you can meaningfully mix normal HDDS and SSDs in a Linux
software RAID1 and you can use more than 2 drives in a RAID1
under Linux software RAID. I have a page on how to do that here:

    http://www.arnowagner.info/hybrid/

What I currently uses is one SSD and two notebook HDDs for
important data in a 3-way RAID1 (on partition level, but
works the same for full disks). Unless all three fail, the
data is good. Of course, I have backup. LUKS goes on-top
of that RAID.

For reading, this is as fast as the SSD. Writes are buffered
in memory anyways. Unless you need high write-performance for
writes larger than the free memory, this is the ideal set-up.

> Thank you so much and again, I am very sorry for my stupid questions!

Don't worry. The only propblems are lazy questions where
people have not bothered to find things out. You obviously
have.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx