Re: Open raid1 with luks encryption after a raid re-create

Seems the mail got a little delayed on my side...

You are welcome Luis, good it worked out.

Regards

-Sven

Am 24.11.2015 um 12:15 schrieb Luis Alexandre:

Dear Arno and Sven,

Thanks very much for your support.

I was able to open the copy I made with

tail -c +135266305 /dev/sdx > /dev/sdy
and
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdy e1

and have all my data back.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards,
Luis

On 23-11-2015 06:26, Arno Wagner wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 04:56:34 CET, Sven Eschenberg wrote:

Am 23.11.2015 um 04:35 schrieb Arno Wagner:
On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 23:30:23 CET, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
[...]
Now to your question, once you know the offset of the header:
1.)Setup a loop device from your image (You can use an offset into
the image where your loop device starts with sector 0) see --offset
in losetup man page.

Ah, yes. That would save copying it.

That was the plan. In general using dmsetup to create a mapping
manually should work too, if loop device support is missing -
dmsetup is pretty cryptic to use though.

"Cryptic" is not good here...

I was not aware that losetup allows read-only mappings, or I
would probably have looked at it too.

Excellent! So I learned something too!

Inspect loopdevice if the LUKS Header now is on sector 0
2.)Try a cryptsetup luksopen in readonly mode

Good idea. With that it may be reasonaly safe to work
with the original disk. I still would make a full
backup before.

Regards,
Arno

Well, I thought about using the loop on the file while the physical
disk stays unchanged. Otherwise it would be possible to work on the
physical disk, and keep a safety image. No matter which way one
chooses, always have a safety copy.

If the disk is having mechanical problems or something similiar one
would of course use 2 images, one 'master binary backup' and the
replica to work on.

Once mapping and opening works, one can choose to either copy out
the files and backup (usually a good idea) or to create a copy in
the manner you described. Possibly such an image could then be
remerged onto a new clean array, if it is otherwise intact. Not
without some remaining risks though.

Indeed. And first things first, lets see whether that header is
viable before goping any further.

Regards,
Arno