Re: Open raid1 with luks encryption after a raid re-create

CC'ing to the list, as it serves as a sort-of archive of
how to solve problems as well and there are several clueful
and helpful people in it that may spot more things than I do.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 13:15:11 CET, Luis Alexandre wrote:
[...]
> >It can sync in the wrong direction. And second, unfortunately,
> >superblock format 1.2 is a dirty hack designed by incompetents.
> >It places the RAID header 4k from the start of the device. For
> >LUKS, this kills the first keyslow of misaligned. Unfortunately,
> >this is also the default. No, that has not happened here or you
> >would get the header.
>
> Since the original raid was already 1.2 format, the location would
> already be the 4k from the start of the device. So where was LUKS
> info placed in terms of distance from the start of the device?

Right at the start. That is why using superblock 0.90 or 1.0
with LUKS is a good diea as it becomes exceptionally unlikely
that the MD-header damages the LUKS header.

> >>Thanks for any help you can provide.
> >
> >Ok, first stop writing to the disks. Second, make a full, binary backup
> >of each disk. And third, try whether either disk works individually
> >as degraded array.
>
> 1-Done.
> 2-Done. Dumped the first 2MB of each disk.

Make that 1GB at least to be sure to capture the LUKS header
in it if it is still anywhere.

> 3-They appear as raid disks but again I cannot open the encryption.
>
> >If neither gives you a LUKS header, you can still search on the raw
> >disks by looking for the LUKS signature. If that also fails, you are
> >out of luck and all your data is gone.
>
> The LUKS signature is simply 'LUKS'?

Not quite. FAQ Item 6.12
(https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions)
gives you a brief version, the LUKS on-disk spec gives everything.

> I grepped like this:
>
>  grep LUKS header_sdb_backup.dmp
>
> is it the correct way to do it?
> Did not find any match...

Ok, lets repeat that with the full disks and including the full signature

hd /dev/sdx | grep "0  4c 55 4b 53 ba be 00 01"

with x one of your RAID disks. Do this for both. May take a while.
This gives you the alignment as well. The "hd" start of a good
luks header and container (header starts at offset 0) looks like
this:

00000000  4c 55 4b 53 ba be 00 01  61 65 73 00 00 00 00 00 |LUKS....aes.....|

Only the first 6 bytes are fixed. Bytes 6 and 7 are the version
of which there currently is onlyy "0001". This will always be
aligned to a 512 byte boundary. Doing it this way has the
advantage that you get the offset as well.

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx