Re: Open raid1 with luks encryption after a raid re-create

Hi,

It does say, that metadata is written to the disks. Depending on the metadata version, this could still fry your LUKS-Header. v1.2 Header is stored 4k from the start of the drive.

You really should have started the array degraded, check the contents and then hot-add the new (empty) drive.

--assume-clean is something you use, when you assume or know, that your array is ok, even if one of the metadata headers says differently.

And mdadm gave you quite some lines to consider first:
/dev/sdc1 appears to contain an ext2fs file system - This probably was not The old raid component, when it had a LUKS header ontop. A check would have been wise and then remove the ext2fs signatures, once you really made sure.
mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdb but will be lost or...
Now THIS drive had a partitions table, maybe your raid component was on one of the partitions?

Regards

-Sven

P.S.: For a recovery, create an image of the running md, then of each component drive. Inspect the images if you can find the LUKS header at all. If you do, dd the header and keyslots out of the image and check the header throroughly, if it's broken, try to fix the copy you made, if it can be used and you are able to create a ro-LUKS-mapping, you can possibly recover your data (You really would want to back it up at this point!)