Re: Using a removable-device-recorded passphrase to decrypt a system

Hi Arno,

On Fri, June 26, 2015 14:30, Arno Wagner wrote:
> Hi Arbiel,
>
> I think you have some misunderstanding here: crypttab does
> not work for encrypted system, as it is on that encrypted system
> itself (catch-22).

Conceptually yes, well, kinda. Usually crypttab ends up in the initram/rd
and should be available during early boot

> In order to have an encrypted system partition, you need some
> mechanism in the initrd to read your passphrase. What form that
> mechanism takes depends on the distribution you are using.

Exactly, so it all is distribution specific. If the distribution builds
initram/rd with cryptsetup+tab and has all the necesary meat around the
bones crypttab is the right place. But the info the OP is looking for will
be coming with his distribution and is only loosely related to cryptsetup
itself.

> My advice is to not encrypt the system partition itself, just
> all user and data partitions. An "evil Maid" attacker can get
> into your boot process anyways. Disk encryption really only
> protects against encrypted devices being stolen while not
> mapped (machine is off, e.g.).

A good advice, esp. for less experienced users. Even when the distribution
makes it a piece of cake to set up, once it fails, it bakfires hard on
inexperienced users.

> Gr"usse,
> Arno

Regards