Re: Using a removable-device-recorded passphrase to decrypt a system

Hi Arbiel,

I think you have some misunderstanding here: crypttab does
not work for encrypted system, as it is on that encrypted system
itself (catch-22).

In order to have an encrypted system partition, you need some
mechanism in the initrd to read your passphrase. What form that
mechanism takes depends on the distribution you are using.

My advice is to not encrypt the system partition itself, just
all user and data partitions. An "evil Maid" attacker can get
into your boot process anyways. Disk encryption really only
protects against encrypted devices being stolen while not
mapped (machine is off, e.g.).

Gr"usse,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx