Re: LUKS disk encryption with remote boot authentication

On Tue, October 21, 2014 15:46, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:01:13 CEST, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
>> I still see two problems here:
>>
>> Can the TPM verify the firmware as it is interchangeable? And how should
>> this be possible? (It would have to hook inbetween CPU and chipset
>> AFAIK).
>
> It cannot. The TPM is basically akin to a fixedly-installed chipcard.
> The hardware all still works just ignoring it, and it is entirely
> possible to use a blue-pill rootkit to make the TPM think everything
> is fine, when it decidedly is not.

Imho this should work both ways. As the firmware entrypoint is not checked
or provided by the TPM you can easily interchange the firmware. And you
can interchange the TPM providing exactly the answers a bootloader (and
everything further on in the chain) would expect. And probably this ain't
the end of possible attack vectors.

>> Second problem is replacing/modifying the TPM. You'd have to mitigate
>> this
>> physicly I guess.
>
> The TPM is a low-cost solution, and its primary use is
> identification for DRM purposes, i.e. put media decryption
> keys in there. That only works if the OS collaporates with
> the TPM against the user.

I merely wanted to point out that most TPMs aren't even soldered. a
blackbox that can be exchanged in a plug'n'pray manner doesn't do you any
good. And even if it was soldered, there's still further options
(including resoldering or simple firmware exchange or other means of
skimming).

> Arno

Regards

-Sven