Re: LUKS disk encryption with remote boot authentication

Pardon, but that's where the "predicated on the software state" comes in.

TPM-based solutions (fully-implemented ones via tboot and such) verify the
entire chain - bootloader to kernel to initramfs. If the verifications don't
match the saved values, the NVRAM PCRs don't unlock and are inaccessible.

Your assessment would be true if a TPM was basically just something like a
smartcard - a HSM holding a key, that can encrypt/decrypt on behalf of the
user. However, that is not all a TPM is.

This actually makes use of one of the features that made TPMs relatively
controversial - the ability to attest to the state of the system _as a
whole_, _including_ the running software. However, like all power, it can be
used for 'evil' ("You jailbroke the machine, your keys to Hollywood Movies
#24601-#34159 are now revoked!") it can also be used for 'good' ("Sorry,
your initramfs has a rootkit in it, I don't feel safe handing over the
key.")

http://sources.debian.net/src/cryptsetup/2:1.6.6-2/debian/README.Debian/#L202