Re: Boot Prompt Text

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 15:39:01 CET, Arno Wagner wrote:
> > Actually, it's systemd's doing:
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/cryptsetup/cryptsetup.c#n266
>
> Ah, that evil monster. For that I would say those that
> use systemd shall suffer from the complexity they chose.
> That this is in a c-file, not an easily changed shell-
> skript, already explains quite a bit of what is wrong
> with systemd.
>
> So fixing this goes something like this:
>  - create a patch for the c-code
>  - recompile and reinstall systemd
>  - and maintain your patch forever
>
> Pity. With a sane init system, it would just be a change to
> some shell-skript, i.e. 2 minutes with a text editor.

Aparently, I was wrong. It seems the correct process to
do this (according to a personal communication from
Thomas Bächler) is as follows:

- Find a solution for the problem that
  a) is generic enough to fit your use case and satisfy others
  b) can be implemented by the admin using appopriate configuration
     files (without further editing shell scripts or binaries).
- Implement that solution in the code.
- Get the patch merged into systemd.

How that has any business replacing

- Start editor
- Fiddle with init-script until you like the prompt
- Enjoy _your_ solution to the problem, no matter what
  anybody else thinks about it

is beyond me. But I do know a certain other OS where
they do not like you to customize your experience either.
I can only advise anybody that does want to customize what
their system does to stay away from these authoritarian
atrocities.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx