Re: Boot Prompt Text

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 06:57:25PM +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 15:39:01 CET, Arno Wagner wrote:
> > > Actually, it's systemd's doing:
> > >
> > > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/cryptsetup/cryptsetup.c#n266
> >
> > Ah, that evil monster. For that I would say those that
> > use systemd shall suffer from the complexity they chose.
> > That this is in a c-file, not an easily changed shell-
> > skript, already explains quite a bit of what is wrong
> > with systemd.
> >
> > So fixing this goes something like this:
> >  - create a patch for the c-code
> >  - recompile and reinstall systemd
> >  - and maintain your patch forever
> >
> > Pity. With a sane init system, it would just be a change to
> > some shell-skript, i.e. 2 minutes with a text editor.
>
> Aparently, I was wrong. It seems the correct process to
> do this (according to a personal communication from
> Thomas Bächler) is as follows:
>
> - Find a solution for the problem that
>   a) is generic enough to fit your use case and satisfy others
>   b) can be implemented by the admin using appopriate configuration
>      files (without further editing shell scripts or binaries).
> - Implement that solution in the code.
> - Get the patch merged into systemd.

seems there are other ways to do it because on my Fedora 19 with
out of the box encrypted hard disk I do not see any prompt - just
an entry box without any text where I can type the password.

> How that has any business replacing
>
> - Start editor
> - Fiddle with init-script until you like the prompt
> - Enjoy _your_ solution to the problem, no matter what
>   anybody else thinks about it

not always quite so easy, some distros have some kind of initial
ram disk. I would rather patch systemd than mess with the initial
ramdisk every time a new kernel is installed.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers