Re: Boot Prompt Text

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 16:02:17 CET, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 17.02.2014 15:39, schrieb Arno Wagner:
> > That this is in a c-file, not an easily changed shell-
> > skript, already explains quite a bit of what is wrong
> > with systemd.
>
> Besides the fact that this is completely off-topic:
>
> You could use the same argument on cryptsetup and claim that it should
> be a shell script. Why isn't it? If I want 'cryptsetup luksOpen's prompt
> to change, I need to change it in cryptsetup and recompile. If it was a
> script, I could easily edit it.

Actually, you just need to read the man-page to find out how to
use cryptsetup from a shell-script and then you can do anything
you like in that wrapper. It is pretty well prepared for that
usage-scenario. As to why it is not a shell-script itself,
doing crypto in a shell-script is pretty stupid for a number
of reasons that do not require elaboration for anybody that
knows the first thing about crypto.

> It's *precisely* your argument. (Of course, it completely ignores that

No, it is not. Not even close. See above.

> the next system update would overwrite it, shell script or binary).

Oh? Not in a sane update system for a shell script. Debians
"file has been changed from original, (d)iff, (o)verwrite,
(k)eep" (paraphrased) works pretty well for shell-scripts.
It does not really work for binaries, for obvious reasons.

> Really, please stop inventing weird arguments against things that you
> don't use, are not interested in and don't know anything about - and
> keep it on-topic.

I am on-topic. There is absolutely nothing weird about my argument.
Can the cheap retorics and the personal insults. They just disqualify
you.

> > Pity. With a sane init system, it would just be a change to
> > some shell-skript, i.e. 2 minutes with a text editor.
>
> Until the next system update - and then you edit it again. System
> maintenance like it is done in 2014!

Not at all. See above. I have been modifying init-scripts
for more than a decade and never had any serious issues.
I can only guess you lack that kind of experience.

So I your answer is "it does not work, but other ways to
do that are broken too"? That is both pretty pathetic not true.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----