Re: nuke password to delete luks header

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 00:18:27 CET, Claudio Moretti wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Thomas Bastiani <thom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 16 January 2014 22:49, Claudio Moretti <flyingstar16@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >>  2) Your life is in danger and somebody wants something from your
> >> laptop: what do you think will happen then, if you wipe your key?
> >>

> > I believe Iggy made a point earlier:
> > " [...] not everyone values their physical well-being over the compromise
> > of their data."
> >
> > Which is a surprisingly (to me) valid point. There might be cases where
> > someone might actually want to protect something at the cost of their life.
> >

> I hadn't thought about that, but now that you mention it I've given it a
> little thought and I agree. Suppose you're a police officer, you're
> carrying an encrypted laptop with thousands of names of people in a witness
> protection program, and you're captured by the mob.

The mob has IT security experts and will not allow this person to
trick them.

> Without diving into further examples concerning the safety of the people
> someone holds most dear, I believe this is the perfect example.

For my option 1. "erase container while still free to act" it is
a valid example. For option 2. "try to trick adversaries while
already in their power", it is just as bad as all the others.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----