Re: nuke password to delete luks header

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 13:05:32 CET, .. ink .. wrote:
[...]
> > No, if you crypto-blank it, it will not. But you need to protect
> > the additional container against overwriting in some way. One
> > way is to not write the outer container at all. This is obvious,
> > as it is going to be either old and not written for a long time
> > or brand-new, i.e. container has been creatded for the border-
> > crossing. The way TC does it by preventing writes to that
> > area is likely to leacve traces of the failed writes.
> >

> Its possible to use the first volume normally without harming the hidden
> one by not filling up the out volume
> to near capacity.If you dont cross past 30% volume utilization of the outer
> volume,then the hidden volume will be
> safe.This assumes using a proper file system and fat seem to be the best
> one to use since its the most advanced
> among the simplest file systems.

While I have not looked at it for some time, the last time I looked,
FAT did a create-at-end Strategy. This way the data "wanders" over
the partition towrds the end. ext2/3/4 will create files all over
the disk in the first place.

> The scenario i am working with says something like this,you are at a border
> cross with a external hard drive and there are 10 other people with
> external hard drives and there is a government agent who is tasked with
> examining external hard drives.What he may do is ask everybody to put their
> hard drives in a bucket and he may go through them one by one.He will take
> one,plug it in to a computer and look into it by doing file searches,then
> go to the next one and do the same.If they reach yours,plug it in and get a
> LUKS prompt,then they will call you up and ask you to open it,they will
> probably be annoyed at you for slowing them down too.Once there,bringing up
> the fifth amendment to the constitution or any other privacy related
> explanation will probably not do you any good.The more you delay them,the
> more they will be unhappy with you and the more unpleasant they will be.
>
> If they have no reason to suspect you have an encrypted volume hidden at
> the back of a regular file system,they will not look for it or ask you
> about it and will just go past your hard drive uneventfully,the only time
> they will examine your hard drive forensically is if you are already at the
> backroom being interrogated while your possessions are being closely
> scrutinized and they will do this most likely because they already know who
> you are and what you could be carrying and you did something stupid to draw
> suspicion to your hard drive.
>
> If asked if the drive has a hidden volume,you could then answer "yes" and
> proceed to do what you would have done if asked to unlock a LUKS volume or
> any other encrypted volume.

Well, if you are willing to give up a hidden volume, that would
work, I guess.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx