Re: Avoiding fsck.ext4 destruction of crypto_luks data

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:39:43AM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 12/30/2012 09:42 AM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> > Hi Milan,
> >
> > What happens though, if signatures are not accessible during luksFormat?
> > (Or alternatively, are not found, because they are misaligned from the
> > current setup's perspective?)
> >
> > Scenario, create a md volume with 1.0 metadata (end of device), start md
> > device, do luks format.
>
> Well, there are priorities but in fact these configurations need some
> external info (or admin knowledge).

Indeed. Just added the warning that previosuly used partitions should
be wiped to the man-page of cryptsetup. I also found that "wipefs"
does not remove matadata 0.90 signatures from md components (located
at the end. I still use them because I like kernel-level autodetection
and my arrays are small), also added warning about that.

> > Now, in intial unused state, the luks header and md metadata is visible.
> > While cryptsetup might be able to realize that the md device should first
> > be started, this might not be true for all tools (unfortunately). Possible
> > similiar scenarions with leftover superblocks etc. can surely be created.
>
> Yes, and in the MD format (end of device) case the problem repeats
> very often.

Indeed. See above.

> > I am aware this is a specific case due to the end of device policy of the
> > md metada v1.0. What I am trying to say is, not all cases can
> > automagically be resolved, sometimes the knowledge and interaction of an
> > admin might really be required. And for educated guessing, the admin needs
> > to be educated beforehand ;-).
>
> Yes, fully agree. I can mention other situations, which can be configured
> this way (LVM has several such undocumented scenarios) where you cannot
> automatically say which signature is the first...

I think warning the user that anything previously used need to be
cleaned is enough. FAQ and man-page do that now. I think that is
enough. Those that do not read documentation will always find some
way to shoot themselves in the foot...

> (I can write very long description about plans about "block device
> assembly" library under util-linux project which should help to solve
> this, but I am afraid that I will not work on this project anymore.)

Some magic pressure-cooker you throw some partitions in and
get some assembled and runnign filesystems out? Sounds like
a nightmare to implement ;-)

> And because we are on dmcrypt list - there is always need from security
> (or paranoid ;) people to separate or hide metadata (e.g.  LUKS header or
> hidden container).  In this situation you simply must know some info in
> advance to properly activate such storage...

Security requires understanding what you are doing or at least reading
the documentation carefully (it it is any good). For example, I
recently found out that there are people that run TrueCrypt on Windows
whith hibernation active and the hibernation file not on an encrypted
device. That is a complete fail, as the encryption keys then go into
the hiberfile. (The documentation warns about this.) Seems you can
even buy software that recovers the keys automatically.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----