Re: Avoiding fsck.ext4 destruction of crypto_luks data

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 03:46:45PM +0100, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> I think these are the 2 most common sources, when something like this
> happens.
>
> It would be interesting to know though:
>
> Did the device ever hold an ext filesystem?
> What was done before creating the luks container?
>
> My best guess is, that the 'raw' device still had an intact secondary
> superblock, which was found and used.

My thoughts also.

> Are logs/console messages from the fsck run available, that could shed
> some light on this?
>
> I wonder how fsck checks for a superblock. I still assume, that chances of
> having encrypted data in the right block on disk looking like a correct
> ext-superblock is next to zero.

The ext2 superblock magic number seems to be 0xEF53. That is a bit
short but still only gives something like 1 in 65536 probability of
misdetection in encrypted data. I think we can rule that out
for the moment.

> Regards
>
> -Sven
>
> BTW: Since Arno mentioned the confusion problem and I saw a md (devmapper)
> name in the initial post, avoid md metadata v1.0 format if possible. Even
> though it is clear to us humans, that a readable md metadata can not
> possibly be inside the luks container, it's your best chance of ending up
> with another desaster. Arno, could this be something for the FAQ?

I am thinking about a "basic LUKS setup" section for the FAQ
that is more in the nature of a mini-howto. Things like blanking
a previously used partition before a LUKS install seem to be
not obvious to many people. Step-by-step instructions may help.

Arno