Re: Avoiding fsck.ext4 destruction of crypto_luks data

Hi Emily,

this is rather unfortnate. But I think something else went wrong
here. When I run e2fsck on a luks loop-file, it correctly
recognizes there is no ext2/3/4 system in there:

------
root@gate:~/f/luks# e2fsck /dev/loop0
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/loop0

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

root@gate:~/f/luks#
-------

I think your partition could have contained old ext4 superblocks that
were not erased. Or ext2fsck was run with some kind of --force option.
In both cases, what you saw is user error.

In particular, any partition should be compeltely erased before
a new filesystem or LUKS container is put on it, specifically
to avoid an unfortunate event like you had. Typically, recognizing
what is in a partitition is reliable. But if two different
things get mixed (LUKS + ext4), a repair tool, that must be
less careful about requiring correct signatures, could get confused.

Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----