Re: Avoiding fsck.ext4 destruction of crypto_luks data

Emily,

This seems it would be an easy mistake to make, especially if one's working on an unfamiliar system or multiple heterogeneous systems or after a long time during which dm-crypt has been working, as it should, transparently and its presence is forgotten. I could see myself making the same mistake. So thanks for bringing up the issue.

This will likely be the least knowledgeable reply you'll get, so please defer to any other replies.

I would think that the most assured method to prevent this mistake would need to be from the side of fsck itself. So I would rename fsck to something else, say fsck.bin. Then a shell script would call fsck.bin after first checking the device specified. One check I can think of would consist of an attempt to mount the specified device to a temporary mountpoint. Only if the mount succeeds, after the device is unmounted, would fsck.bin be called. Of course each of the various fsck.{filesystem} executables should get this sort of wrapping.

True, this is a bit of a cludge. And there's probably two or three more elegant cludges possible. And a true fix would need to be incorporated into all the fsck.{filesystem} executables themselves. But that would probably take awhile to happen and then flow out to all the distros. Something like the above might serve the purpose until all that happens.