Re: How to activate hash module?

Hello,

  Thank you all for the answers.

On Sunday 13 March 2011 13:00:13 Arno Wagner wrote:

> What is the hash in question?

Ok, it is ripemd 320.

> Maybe you should
> load the module in both versions and then do
> a "cat /proc/crypto".

Just in case, I repeat, that in OS11.1 I don't have to load it to use
it. It simply works.

I loaded the modules in both cases, it appeared in /proc/crypto. The
only difference I see is type. For OS11.1 it is listed as digest, for
11.4 as shash. Sizes are the same.

> What you can try, is to compile your own kernel with
> the hash statically compiled in.

That step I would like to avoid, because I am afraid that if I forget
I have custom kernel with update I can overwrite it.

> Personally, I gave
> up on distribution kernels a long time ago, and
> have only rarely had problems. This is with Debian,
> though.

Ironically, yesterday I considered Debian as replacement for Opensuse
because of this issue (hoping that with Debian most advanced issues
are solved).

On Sunday 13 March 2011 11:53:32 Heinz Diehl wrote:

> Not quite shure on that one, but as far as I know, newer cryptsetup
> is libgcrypt based, so you'll have to check if your libgcrypt
> implementation has compiled-in support for this particular hash
> algorithm you're trying to use.

I don't know how to check it, but I try to find out. Anyway, I was
hoping for something opposite -- that architecture is modular, and
you simply add/activate hash module, not recompile entire library.

On Sunday 13 March 2011 14:47:33 Milan Broz wrote:

> The best is paste error messages (add --debug) so it is clear what
> is the exact problem.

Code 22: Requested LUKS hash ripemd320 is not supported.

Options used -v and --debug.

I use the hash as hash for dmcrypt, --hash ripemd320

> (Better ask on kernel crypto list
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-crypto )

Ok, thank you.

Kind regards,