Re: How to activate hash module?

On 03/13/2011 11:53 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 13.03.2011, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>
>> Just of curiosity I tried to load the module explicitly (modprobe)
>> in 11.4 and then execute cryptsetup again, but it still stated the
>> hash is not supported.
>
> Not quite shure on that one, but as far as I know, newer cryptsetup is
> libgcrypt based, so you'll have to check if your libgcrypt
> implementation has compiled-in support for this particular hash
> algorithm you're trying to use.

There are two uses for hash - one is for userspace (LUKS and passphrase
hashing in plain mode) and the second is used in ESSIV in kernel.

The best is paste error messages (add --debug) so it is clear what is
the exact problem.

If it is about kernel part, dmcrypt is here simple user of cryptoAPI,
so it depends on the module autoloading.
(Better ask on kernel crypto list http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-crypto )

Milan