Re: Crypting a filesystem using an asymmetric GPG key ?

Thank you both for your replies, I understand now why RSA is never used for disk encryption.
What you say in b) is never explicated in the lots of documentation/tutorials I gathered on the web. I'm wondering now if it's not better to directly spot the research papers...
Anyway your answer enlightened me alot about the reason for not using asymmetric algorithms here.

Cheers,
Sdrucciole.

2011/3/13 Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 05:43:15PM +0000, Il Sdrucciole wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am currently using several GNU/Linux distros (Ubuntu, Gentoo) and I would
> like to crypt my entire disk.
>
> But the point is, I do not want to use any symmetric algorithm.

There weill not be a way around that, unless you
a) write it yourself and
b) are willing to take a massive performance hit, as in a factor
 1000 slower than symmetrical. Expect something like
 100kB/s for RSA1024 and something like 25kB/s for RSA2048.
 (Writing will be faster though.) That is floppy speed.

> More, I have
> got GPG keys: why not use them to encrypt my FS ? By doing this, I would
> have to give my private key and passphrase at boot time, and security would
> be improved (possibility to use smartcards, etc.).

Aeh, no? LUKS is about as secure as GPG is, likely more, as GPG has
no anti-forensics. And you can already use a GPG key with plain
dm-crypt to protect the master key.

> So my question is, *Is there a way to crypt a filesystem with a GPG
> asymmetric key ?*

Yes, but you do not want to do that, see above.

> Linking the standards would be very user-friendly.

What standards?

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
GnuPG: ÂID: 1E25338F ÂFP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C Â0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F

If it's in the news, don't worry about it. ÂThe very definition of