Re: Memory location of the encryption key

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 02:03:01PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I've been reading Gutmann's paper on data remanence, which says that if
> some data is kept in the same memory location for very little time (1
> second), the possibility for recovery of this data is very low, because
> the data had not yet had the time to change the relevant physical
> properties used in cold boot attacks. My question is, does dm-crypt change
> the memory location of encryption key every second? Does dm-crypt rewrite
> the memory location of the key when removing an active mapping? What other
> cold boot attack mitigation techniques the dm-crypt does?

I think there is some confusion: A cold-boot attack uses
the fact that many DRAM memory cells retain their state for seconds
or minutes after power is removed. The thing with memory cells
attenuating to what was stored in them over time is something
different.

Complementing memory contents does not help against cold-boot
attacks at all. It does help against the memory cells attenuating
to their contents. Also note that the attenuation problem is
typical for SRAM, while cold-boot attacks typically target DRAM.
Also note that detectione memory attenuation can be quite difficult
and may require you to take the memory chip through a large
number of measurements over different environmental conditions.

Finally, cold-boot attacks are used against PCs and similar
systems, while attenuation attacks are done against key-storage
devices, like SRAM or FLASH-memory in chipcards.

This is not the whole story, of course.

There is basically nothing you can do against cold-boot attacks,
except overwrite memory contents in time. That requires attack
detection.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx