Need some suggestions on large drives

First, does anyone know how Fedora 12's installer installs LUKS with LVM2? Do they do LUKS over LVM2 or LVM2 over LUKS?

Second, I have my boot disk (WD 500GB) setup with 2 partitions, the 1st is non LVM or LUKS as ext4 300MB and used as the /boot. The rest of the drive or 2nd partition is my 1st VG which is all encrypted and is divided up with 7 LVs (/, /home, /dnlds, /docs, /graphics, /tmp, /var, swap01) I setup the swap01 with encrytion and is 1/2 of my total swap needed (4 GB of RAM total swap = 5 GB, 2.5GB swap01 + 2.5 GB swap02). Is this what you call mult-layed encryption? I saw that briefly mentioned in either the Aug 2009 or Sept 2009 archives. Am I wrong for doing that?

Third, I've been reading the discussion on the different encryption ciphers from the Aug 2009 archive and am thinking of using serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256. Would this be suitable for a 1TB drive? I'll be doing this manually so would I 1st create the partition with fdisk then the luksFormat finally doing the vgcreate and lvcreate. I'll be doing 2 seperate 1TB drives at the same time set up as separate VGs. One of them will also have an LV for swap02 which I was planning to additionally encrypt. Would this be wrong?

Finally, as mentioned in the second paragraph, I have /var as seperate LV which is within an encrypted VG. The LV is not additionally encrypted, I had to expand the LV using free space from the 1st VG. I did it through the GUI for LVM2. It never indicated any errors during the process and it appears now to have access to the full size of the expanded LV. However, I now get an error on boot referring to the LV that /var resides on. Does anyone know the proper way to use e2fsk? I tried shutting down to single user and unmounting the LV so that I could execute "e2fsck -VCa mapped-device", but I wasn't able to unmount the LV.

Sory for the long winded post and for going all over the place, but they are sort of inter-related and I'm trying to straighten them out all together.