Re: Need some suggestions on large drives

On 03/06/2010 06:45 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> First, does anyone know how Fedora 12's installer installs LUKS with
> LVM2? Do they do LUKS over LVM2 or LVM2 over LUKS?

You can (manually) configure both modes during partitioning,
the "encrypt whole system" checkbox will create partition, LUKS on it,
and over it LVM2 with root + swap LV.

Anaconda (Fedora installer) developers decided to use aes-xts-plain
with 512 bits key (IOW AES256 in XTS mode).

> Finally, as mentioned in the second paragraph, I have /var as seperate
> LV which is within an encrypted VG. The LV is not additionally
> encrypted, I had to expand the LV using free space from the 1st VG. I
> did it through the GUI for LVM2.

Not sure what's GUI - if it is system-config-lvm, it doesn't suport LUKS yet,
so you must be very careful. (and there were nasty bugs in this GUI, should
be fixed in recent version though).

But because LUKS have no underlying device size stored in header,
simply reactivate will reload the proper device size.
(or use cryptsetup resize command for online change).

> execute "e2fsck -VCa mapped-device", but I wasn't able to unmount the LV.
then you maybe need to run it from recovery or LiveCD.
(online resize LV is not problem, online resize FS on it - depends on configuration,
ext3 should allow online extension)

Milan