Re: Support for Deniable encryption (Hidden containers)

Ther is a way to have some plausible deniability with cryptsetup (not LUKS).

Basically, all resides with the ability of losetup to have an offset (i.e.
jump a certain number of bytes in the beginning of the loop file). Create a
LUKS container, don't fill it too much, jump behind the last data and create
a second one:

First, the ciphered one, known file:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/bigfile bs=1024k count=1024
losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/bigfile
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/loop0
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop0 crypted_one
  (fill the disk with random data)
mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/mapper/crypted_one
mount -t vfat /dev/mapper/crypted_one /mnt/crypt
echo "confidential file" > /mnt/crypt/secret

Second, hide your real secrets with plausible deniability:
losetup -o 512000 /dev/loop1 /tmp/bigfile
cryptsetup create second_crypt /dev/loop1
mke2fs /dev/mapper/second_crypt
mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/second_crypt /mnt/hd2
echo "very very secret" > /mnt/hd2/secret

You must be careful to don't use too much the crypted_one; if you fill it
too much it will overwrite the second_crypt...
You _must_ use the FAT filesystem in the crypted_one partition: ext copy the
superblock everywhere on the disk. It will be overwritten by the
second_crypt, and therefore an attacker with the first key can be suspicious...
You mustn't use LUKS for second_crypt: the format of LUKS header can be
found very easily in the middle of the /tmp/bigfile

The secret lies with two parameters: the offset and the key.

I think we can call it plausible deniabilty: It is impossible for an
attacker to know that a second container resides in the first one.

Hope this helps

En réponse à OndÅ?ej Pelech <ondra.pelech@xxxxxxxxx> :

Envoyé avec Inmano, ma messagerie renversante et gratuite : http://www.inmano.com