Re: 1.1.0rc2: device-mapper: remove ioctl failed: Device or resource busy

On 10/23/2009 03:41 PM, Uwe Menges wrote:
> Peter Rajnoha wrote:

> I'm currently on Ubuntu 9.04 and I don't have any /dev/dm-* devices,
> only /dev/mapper/* (eg. "raid5-root"), which have much more meaning for
> humans. The system works, so there seems to be no actual need for
> /dev/dm-* devices.

This was requirement from udev side.
Initially the "dm-X" device were never intended to be visible in userspace...

Anyway, seems that there is lot of discussion around this problem,
please can we move this generic discussion to more appropriate list?
(dm-devel, lvm-devel or udev/hotplug ?)

> Maybe it's time to loosen the "standard way". I have the strong feeling
> that we're going backwards with respect to usability if eg. df reports
> meaningless /dev/dm-* names, so the human has to look up what this
> actually means.

I fully agree. Nobody want to display dm-X devices to users.
(and btw df is fixed already upstream to not display these devices and
prefer user friendly names)

But please read this thread first for context...
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/13876/focus=13877

Milan
--
mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx