Re: cryptsetup, LUKS, plausible deniability

Sarah Dean <sdean12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:04:48 -0400, test532@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>external luks header feature that Rick mentioned. dm-crypt comes with
>>practically every linux. Therefor, having dm-crypt installed on one's system
>>means nothing.

dm-crypt on a system together with lots of random-like data just means
something more.

> By extending his arguments, Argo seems to be arguing that having

test532-x7YzxCmVBxG9yJkKvVJcdA was just quoting wrong: it was me, not
Arno.

> dm-crypt included with Linux distros means that *every* Linux user may
> be subject to being tortured to death, on the basis that they *must*
> have something to hide, and are just being "stubborn"/"enjoy the
> waterboarding"?

And: no, this was not what I meant. What I meant was simply that if I
would be in that business I would just assume this and do so.

> It's a little like taking the view that our kitchen-knife owner is a
> serial killer - and the fact that he's still alive simply means we just
> haven't tortured him long enough to get "the truth"?!

Yes. If you are thinking about plausible deniability *for a reason*,
this is a (better: *the*) typical scenario in your mind.

regards
   Mario
--
... aber nur deshalb blueht Autoritaet, weil die meisten Menschen
Feiglinge und manche Menschen Diebe sind.