Data Corruption - hard drive or DM-crypt?

Hi All,

I have been experiencing data corruption on my DM-Crypt / LUKS system running Jaunty. Most noticeably it happens with my media (music dominantly), in the form of read-write errors when copying or moving files, and as corrupted songs that worked fine before. It is entirely plausible that other parts of my system are corrupt as well, but the media is the most noticeable case. This happened before when I was running Hardy as well, and so when I upgraded to Jaunty I did a fresh install, wiping the partitions before hand. The data corruption may be due to a periodic hanging of the system at shut down, which I have not discovered the cause of, but which apparently prevents the crypted disks from unmounting, as I get errors upon the following boot- however fsck doesn't return anything of note! So my question is: How do I determine if I have a bad hard disk, bad memory, or merely an improper shutdown problem?

Thanks for the advice,

Matt
GPG Key ID: 113828CC