Re: Data Corruption - hard drive or DM-crypt?

Matt Rosales wrote:
> I have been experiencing data corruption on my DM-Crypt / LUKS
> system running Jaunty. Most noticeably it happens with my media (music
> dominantly), in the form of read-write errors when copying or moving
> files, and as corrupted songs that worked fine before. It is

If it is really IO errors, the problem is below dm-crypt, your
disk or other hw is probably faulty. Dm-crypt returns IO error only if it
receives failed operation from underlying device.

Also, if your disk or memory is flaky and randomly flips some bits (without IO error),
this cause at least (because of encryption) lost of encryption block
or the whole sector. (Without encryption only flipped bit is wrong and this
can be unnoticed).

Run memory test (memetest+), run some disk-level test (badblocks with write
test - see man badblocks), check syslog for previous errors etc.

Milan