cryptsetup support for dm-crypt suspend/resume

Hello.

I'm using dm-crypt to encrypt both my root and home partitions on my
laptop. However, I use suspend-to-ram and rarely turn the computer off.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to somehow tell dm-crypt to
temporarily discard the encryption key and block all reads/writes until
the key is provided again. This way, if i discarded the key to my /home
before suspend-to-ram, the potential thief wouldn't be able to get
anything else than what is cached in the ram (or at least, easily).

Turns out device-mapper already has commands for blocking all i/o and
resuming it again (dmsetup suspend, dmsetup resume) and that dm-crypt
driver makes it possible to wipe/re-set the key while suspended. Only
thing that's missing is userspace tool that could do this (or i just
wasn't able to find one).

Would it be possible to have e.g. luksSuspend and luksResume commands in
cryptsetup, where luksSuspend would equal running "dmsetup suspend dev;
dmsetup message dev 0 key wipe" (i.e. not really dependent on luks) and
luksResume would get the password from user, decrypt the key in header
and do equivalent of "dmsetup message dev 0 key set key; dmsetup resume
dev"; and use luksSuspend before suspend-to-ram and luksResume after the
wakeup?

Does such a feature make sense or wouldn't it increase security of the
partition in question at all?

If it's not total nonsense and none of the developers would like to
implement it himself, I'm willing to try to write a patch for
cryptsetup.

Thanks,
-MM