Re: cryptsetup support for dm-crypt suspend/resume

Martin Milata wrote:
> Would it be possible to have e.g. luksSuspend and luksResume commands in
> cryptsetup, where luksSuspend would equal running "dmsetup suspend dev;
> dmsetup message dev 0 key wipe" (i.e. not really dependent on luks) and
> luksResume would get the password from user, decrypt the key in header
> and do equivalent of "dmsetup message dev 0 key set key; dmsetup resume
> dev"; and use luksSuspend before suspend-to-ram and luksResume after the
> wakeup?

Yes, I plan to add this, you can track this issue here
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=3

> Does such a feature make sense or wouldn't it increase security of the
> partition in question at all?

Depends on situation, after key wipe there should be no
volume key in memory but memory still can contain unencrypted data...

> If it's not total nonsense and none of the developers would like to
> implement it himself, I'm willing to try to write a patch for
> cryptsetup.

It should be easy to implement but my priority is now prepare new libcryptsetup
api (will appear in svn soon) and implementation of these new features will follow
- over this new api. Old api remains in its current state without
new features added - just to retain compatibility, so implementing anything new
using it is waste of time for now:-)

Milan
--
mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx