type one password, get many

Someone referred recently to a scenario in which a human would type in
the password for the root partition, and then the passwords for the
other partitions would come from a file in /etc.

Could anyone provide some more details about how that would work, and
whether it is advisable?  Clearly someone with access to the live system
could get the passwords for all but root, and someone who, e.g., stole
the disk, would only need to crach one password.  I think those limits
would be acceptable to me; are there others?

It is useful for me to have quite a few partitions (I've just discovered
I need more so I can control mount options better), and typing in a
whole bunch of passwords on boot is pretty tedious.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan